Thursday, December 3, 2009

A home made, earth friendly advent calendar

I made my own advent calendar this year, and decided to use materials I already had in the house. I used plain white envelopes to make square paper pockets, and cut out interesting photos from magazines and some old books from the thrift store. I buy a lot of books just for the pictures to use in collages and card making. I added a little ribbon loop from scraps and hung each on a wide gold ribbon with an ornament hook. The ribbon was salvaged from some old holiday decorations my mom was sending to the thrift store this year. It was perfect for this project because it is a wide weave, so the ornament hooks worked out great. I wrote numbers with a Sharpie, and in each envelope a put a page from the Advent meditation book that is a collection of writings (new each year) by people in my church. You could put little candies or treats in the envelopes for kids, but I don't need any more chocolate in my life than there already is.

2 comments:

  1. that is a really cool advent calendar! what I fun Idea. I used to have them when I was young. I usually cheated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. pk @ Room Remix
    I've seen a lot of advent calendars around blog land but I haven't seen this idea yet. I love it! Have a good weekend...

    ReplyDelete


Related Posts with Thumbnails