Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Bakin' and craftin'

There were two family birthdays this month, so we celebrated them together with the traditional German chocolate cake. This is an all time favorite in our family, but this was the first time I made one by myself. The recipe is not a family secret, it's just off the box of baker's chocolate. Try it at your own risk - I'm a fairly experienced baker, and this was no small feat.

There was whisking of egg whites involved, and there was a slight mishap, near disaster with one of the three layers, which got tossed. Lucky for me there were two more.

Penny Lane was tormented by the aroma of baking and begged for a taste. No chocolate for doggies, though. I finally got the cake cobbled together and frosted, and although it wasn't nearly as perfect as my mom's it was delicious.I did a little craft project, as well. I had some amazing vintage fabric I found at a yard sale a while back that I couldn't figure out what to do with. So, I covered an old bulletin board that was an eyesore and put it in my kitchen/home office. Not too shabby.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Related Posts with Thumbnails